Published: 10:00 GMT Standard Time - Friday 09 March 2012
Boko Haram threatens to kidnap Christian women in Nigeria
Country/Region: Africa, Nigeria
Boko Haram’s latest threat
makes Nigerian Christian women
Speaking on Tuesday (6 March), two days after the group said that they were planning coordinated attacks to “eradicate Christians from certain parts of the country”, the same spokesman said:
We are going to put into action new efforts to strike fear into the Christians of the power of Islam by kidnapping their women.
He said that they would not harm or sexually assault the women but would “demand as ransom that the families leave our Islamic areas”.
Boko Haram, which has been fighting to establish an Islamic state in Northern Nigeria since 2009, has stepped up since Christmas its efforts to drive Christians out of the region.
On Sunday (4 March), the spokesman said:
We will create so much effort to end the Christian presence in our push to have a proper Islamic state that the Christians won’t be able to stay.
The Christian community has been targeted in a series of church bombings and attacks on individuals this year; the violence is having the intended effect of driving Christians from the North. Many are heading to the mainly Christian South, while others are crossing the border into Cameroon.
- 1Christians killed and churches bombed amid Islamist violence in Nigeria - 2 years ago
- 2Prayer Focus 12/11 - 2 years ago
- 3Militant Islamists give Christians three days to leave Northern Nigeria after deadly Chri... - 2 years ago
- 4Suicide bomber strikes Nigerian church during service; three killed - 2 years ago
- 5Prayer Focus 03/12 - 2 years ago
- 6Boko Haram declares “war” on Christians in Nigeria and threatens to eradicate them fr... - 2 years ago
- 7Barnabas weekly newsletter 09 March 2012 - 2 years ago
- 8Second church in central Nigerian city bombed in two weeks - 2 years ago
- 9Prayer Focus 04/12 - 2 years ago
- 10Daily Prayer - Thursday 03 May 2012 - 2 years ago